6th Annual Meeting (Nov. 2020)
The 6th Annual Meeting of W2W took place from 16-18 November 2020, for the first time online.
Up to 89 participants attended the meeting hosted on QiqoChat. The keynote presentations, as well as research area (RA) overview talks, lightning talks from poster presenters, and reports from breakout group discussion took place in a plenary room. Additional virtual rooms were set up for smaller group discussions such as the poster sessions (each poster had a dedicated room), the RA breakout groups discussions, the ECS meeting, the general assembly for all members, the ice breakers, and the coffee breaks.
New features compared to past W2W annual meetings included:
- all sessions were chaired by pairs of ECS.
- Virtual rooms were set up for the keynote speakers to have informal conversations with the ECS in their RA. Topics of conversation included their keynote presentation, their career pathway, collaborations within their institute, the procedure to implement new features (e.g. W2W results) into the DWD and ECMWF models.
- Sue van den Heever presented an international perspective on equal opportunity and diversity issues, to follow-up on last year's discussions.
The keynote speakers were:
The meeting was attended by the Scientific Advisory Board:
- Ron McTaggart-Cowan (Canadian Meteorological Center)
- Michael Morgan (University of Wisconsin)
- Carolyn Reynolds (NRL)
- Susan van den Heever (Colorado State University)
- Tim Hewson (ECMWF)
- Robert Redl was elected as a W2W member, effective 1 January 2021.
- The ECS elected a new ECS committee, which consists of Kirsten Tempest (LMU, ECS representative), Christopher Polster (JGU, ECS deputy representative), and Seraphine Hauser (KIT, ECS committee member).
The meeting was very successful given the technical constraints. Lots of informal discussions took place during the poster sessions and the coffee breaks so that the participants, and in particular those who started recently in W2W got to know everyone and discuss their latest results and new ideas for collaborations.
Thank you everyone for making this meeting so lively and fun!
Here is the program of the meeting.
Participants of the meeting