ECS Workshop (Mar. 2018)
The Early Career Scientists Workshop took place from March 12th-14th 2018 at the International Academic Forum Heidelberg in Heidelberg. It was organized by the ECS in Karlsruhe.
This year, the format of the meeting featured:
- a "Powerpoint-Karaoke" where the ECS presented the work of other ECS to all participants in two minutes
- short presentations by the ECS about their favorite tools (e.g. editors, python modules, function to optimize computing time)
- breakout group discussions topics that are relevant for the ECS, e.g., defining the limits of predictability, potentials and limitations of big data usage in atmospheric sciences, career opportunities
- keynote presentations by Filip Sadlo on the state of the art and challenges in visualization and by Dominik Edelmann (DKFZ) on data analysis applied to cancer research
- team building games in an evening session
- a guided tour through the famous castle of Heidelberg
The very lively breakout group discussions were a highlight of the ECS workshop. The small group sizes of the breakout groups (3-6 ECS) ensured that everyone was strongly involved in the discussions. The outcome was presented in a creative way to all ECS, e.g. in the format of a schematic or a theater sketch.
We would like to thank the International Academic Forum Heidelberg at Heidelberg University for providing its premises.